Monday, March 22, 2010

Bye-Bye Na Na/Nan/Paci

Well Hannah, it has been a whole week now without your "nan". Sunday morning you woke up and told me "maybe we should pray to Jesus to help me because I miss my paci." It absolutely breaks my heart, but Monday, March 15th we couldn't find it when it was time for you to go to bed. Daddy wasn't home yet. I told you to try to go to sleep and in the meantime I would look for it. I tore the house apart desperately trying to find your most prized possession. I even stripped Mommy and Daddy's bed hoping to find it hiding there. I never could find it and when Daddy got home he looked everywhere for it too. It took you 3 hours to fall asleep. Poor baby. Daddy eventually found it under the couch, but we both decided this was as best time as any to get rid of it permanently. I felt so much better after we found it though because at least I felt more in control and could cave if need be. You have always been attached to it. You named it your "na na" (we thought you were trying to say night night at first, because that is when you mostly were able to have it) way before you could talk and would ask for your na na. Not long after you turned two, I was pregnant with Ella, so I didn't want to add any stress for you or me at that time. It was in your very best interest not to try taking it away after Ella was born so that is how we got to where we are now my sweet baby girl. Your dentist that I have been taking you to since you were one told me at your last appointment to not even bother taking it away because you would replace it with your fingers or thumb which is orthodontically worse.


I have felt horrible over this last week about it and it is, to date, the hardest thing I've had to deal with as a parent. As always though my sweet baby, you have made it soooooo easy. You don't ask for it, cry for it, or mention it at all other than yesterday morning and in matter of fact ways, such as "I lost my paci." The struggle is knowing that you want it and you not being able to go to sleep. It takes you forever to fall asleep now without it. I'm so sorry my angel cake. We've got people praying for us though love. ♥

1 comment:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

I am praying for Hannah right now. Katherine never liked her paci and we could not find Caroline's one night at 15 months. We decided to stop then. Now though we are about to embark on weaning which is tough because "they" don't get lost! These things are not fun at all. Praying for you both.