My Princess and my Octopus

Having children sure has changed my perspective on things in life. Things that used to not matter to me one way or the other have pierced my soul. One of those things is Halloween. I went trick or treating as a child, dressed up, had fun. The only bad memory I have is going to a haunted house with my sister who is nine years older than me around the age of 4. I remember being more than terrified and never wanting to go again. It felt real and it did not feel fun. I did not like the feeling of being scared.
Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love fall decor and pumpkins, even cute jack-o-lanterns. We even carved a couple this year (happy ones) and put tealights in them and set them outside on the porch. What I DO NOT love is gory, gross, disgusting, scary, and dark Halloween decorations that you have to explain to your kids in the neighborhood. Dark is the key word here. You have to confront darkness to explain them. I choose to live in the light. God came down as the Son of Man so that I don't have to live in darkness anymore. God's Word tells me to think about things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, whatever things are of good report (Philippians 4:8). Although many might dismiss it as silly fun, I do not believe that corpses, skulls, scary monsters, cats, etc. glorify God. I don't think they're pleasing to Him. I know they're not pleasing to little innocent eyes and therefore, I know they're not pleasing to Him either. I don't think I would ever have realized this truth about Halloween if I didn't have children. It is only by looking at it through a child's eye that I see it now.
I don't know what other parents tell their children about this stuff in our neighborhood. I know that my charge in raising my kids is to protect their hearts and minds. Once they see something, that image is there. It reminds me of some words to a song we sing by Casting Crowns that say, "Be careful little eyes what you see, oh be careful little eyes what you see cuz the Father up above is looking down in love, oh be careful little eyes what you see."
2 comments:
I was also disturbed by the scary images. This was our first year trick or treating so I was not really prepared nor did I prepare the kids for that. So I am curious how you did deal with it.
I didn't. I failed miserably. I just reiterated the concept of real and told Hannah that some things look scary, but greater is He that is in us (paraphrased) and we didn't have to fear and prayed that the images we were forced to deal with wouldn't scar her. Your street was great. With the exception of one other house, our street got the prize for most distasteful! I would love any help or suggestions you have.
Post a Comment