Wednesday, December 3, 2008

First Day of School

Today was Hannah's first day of Mother's Day Out. It was tougher on me than her! While I was pregnant with Hannah I always asssumed that I would continue to be an OR Nurse full-time and she would attend daycare. Ha! From the moment I laid eyes on my sweet little pumpkin, I knew that was going to be a problem. Whenever my mom would ask me what I was going to do after my maternity leave, I would cry and tell her I couldn't talk about it. Husband and I visited three day cares (two at hospitals) and I cried the entire time. Fortunately, I became the most blessed mom on the planet because my mom told me she would quit her job and take care of Hannah for me 3 days a week. Wow! That is why I have the best mom in the world and have always thought so. My mom did that for 2 years with Rheumatoid arthritis and a herniated disk! Truly a blessing. Thank you mom. Needless to say I always knew Hannah was in the best hands possible. At the urging and advice of a friend, I got on a waiting list for a preschool in our neighborhood in which people wait for over three years . Everytime we meet another family at the park or playground it seems that their children go here. It is truly a phenomenal place so I got on the waiting list in October and low and behold they called me in November with a spot for Hannah! For now she will go there one day a week from 9-2:30. I expected tears when I dropped her off, but my little social bug never shed one in my sight. She hugged a little boy and told him to come on in the classroom and they were off to play! I was also very concerned how she would do since she has only been potty trained for two weeks and told them there was no way she would actually go to sleep on her napmat. Well, no accidents all day and she slept for an hour! Daddy asked her tonight what woke her up from her nap and she said a little girl was playing with her shoe! Her teacher told me she had a wonderful day and I was so relieved! I should have just relaxed and listened to my husband when he told me not to make such a big deal about it and that if she didn't like it, we'd take her out (although he is not a fan of school at her age)! I hope she continues to love it! Although I know the best place for her is at home with mommy, I also know this will provide a way for her to learn how to act in a group setting and play with friends. It will also help her develop independence and self-sufficiency and coping skills when mommy is not around. It will also give me a chance to get things done during the week instead of cutting into family time on the weekend! I am so blessed that my baby makes everything so easy for me! Way to go Hannah!

2 comments:

SteveF said...

I could be wrong, but it looks like Hannah in that photo is giving us the universal sign for needing to go potty! I've done it a million times.

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

So are you at CCDC? We got a spot in Nov. and gave it up. Maybe it went to you. We hope to be there next year. I ope you like it. It will help with the new baby.